Presidential Investiture ofTom Jackson, Jr.

You’re Invited to Attend the
Presidential Investiture Events for
Tom Jackson, Jr.
As the Eighth President of the University

Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Two o’clock in the Afternoon

Schedule of Events

Investiture Ceremony

1:30 PM Guest Seating & Processional Line-up
2:00 PM Ceremony Begins
Van Duzer Theatre, Theatre Arts Building

Seating is limited to the first 735 guests to RSVP. 

Reception

Immediately Following Ceremony
Kate Buchanan Room, University Center Building

Please RSVP by Friday, January 3, 2020

Investiture Scholarship Dinner

6:00 PM Cocktails | 7:00 PM Dinner
Ingomar Club, 143 M Street, Eureka, CA
$150 per person. All proceeds support scholarships for local students. Semi-formal attire.

Dinner is currently sold outsign up to be on the waiting list

Call 707 826-5467 with questions

Participating in the ceremony processional? If needed, order regalia here

What Is An Investiture?

Defined as the "act or ceremony of conferring the authority and symbols of a high office," an investiture is an academic ceremony in which a new leader is "vested" with the official powers of office. Held during a president's first year in office or at the conclusion of the first year, an investiture provides an opportunity to welcome a new chapter in a university's history and celebrate as a community.

The installation of a new president is a ceremony of dignity with many academic traditions and protocols. It includes an academic procession of delegates from other colleges and universities as well as the institution’s own faculty. Marchers wear the colorful academic regalia of their own institution. Interspersed with musical selections, the event includes greetings from members of the university community.

During President Jackson’s investiture, as with prior ceremonies for CSU presidents, the Presidential Medallion will be conferred. The Presidential Medallion is a symbol of President Jackson’s responsibilities to the university.

A History of Humboldt State University

On June 16, 1913, California Gov. Hiram Johnson signed the law establishing “Humboldt State Normal School, for the training and education of teachers and others in the art of instructing and governing the public schools of this state.”

The first classes at Humboldt State Normal School began on April 6, 1914, with 62 students in a small building near the rural bottoms of Arcata. That December, Susie Baker Fountain became the first graduate and by May of 1915, the school would celebrate its first graduating class of 15 women. The school was established to meet the demand for qualified teachers, which were needed following a state-wide education statute. Accordingly, the school offered four teacher-preparation programs all based on the student’s own experience levels.

In the run-up to those first classes, three Humboldt County towns, Arcata, Eureka, and Fortuna, vied to become the school’s location. A donation of 55 acres of land by Arcata’s William Preston and the Union Water Company ensured Arcata would be the school’s home. Within a decade, the school built the administration building. Today, it is known as Founders Hall and is the campus’s oldest and most recognized building.

World War I made a considerable impact on the school, nearly causing its demise. Enrollment, which reached a high of 159 in 1917, dropped to 59 in 1920.

In the 1920s, the school changed its name to Humboldt State Teachers College and Junior College and the curriculum broadened to include foreign languages, physical education, natural sciences, mathematics, philosophy, English, and the social sciences.

Not long after, the school became Humboldt State College and the curriculum expanded to include a Bachelor of Science degree in education and liberal arts degrees in economics and business. Speech and home economics were soon to follow.

The Great Depression set in during the 1930sl. Times were so tough that President Gist gave students permission to submit IOU’s for one semester to cope with rising tuition fees.

World War II had a major impact on campus and enrollment dropped from 436 in 1939 to 159 by 1945.

With the end of the war came a revitalization as enrollment boomed and the campus began offering programs in forestry and agriculture. Expansion continued in the 1950s. In 1974, the school was renamed Humboldt State University.

From 1983 to 1993, President Alistair McCrone and his colleagues successfully launched the Partnership Campaign, which brought millions in financial donations to the university. By the mid-1980s, HSU’s enrollment hit 6,200 and Business was the most popular major on campus. In the 1990s, the campus organized into three constituent colleges: The College of Natural Resources, the College of Professional Studies, and the College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences.

Today, HSU is the northernmost campus in the California State University system. Students live and learn in one of the world’s most beautiful natural environments. The University offers dozens of majors and minors, including programs in natural resources that are considered among the best in the nation. Hands-on learning is an important part of an HSU education, with students participating in lab research, fieldwork, volunteer work, and internships. HSU’s curriculum demonstrates a long-standing commitment to social and environmental responsibility and to the local community, providing students an extraordinary college experience.